Sunday, February 12, 2012

Rebels Sign Center Matt Kendrick

Matt Kendrick

Height: 7'0"

Weight: 245 lbs

Position: Center

College: Saint Leo University

Previous Team: Sokol de Antofagasta (Chile)


The Tampa Bay Rebels have announced the signing of Matt Kendrick for the upcoming 2012 Florida Basketball Association season, which will begin play in May.  After practicing with the team earlier this year upon his return from Sokol de Antofagasta, a pro club in Chile, Kendrick was able to secure a spot in the roster.  The seven-footer will look to make an immediate impact for the Rebels.
Kendrick has been on the Rebels radar for a while.  "I had a chance to see Matt play during his senior season at Chamberlain High School and I could tell that he had the chance to be a special player.  We kept an eye on his stats and development while he was at St. Leo, knowing we had a legitimate pro prospect on our hands.  Once he began playing professionally, Coach Rojas stepped in and was able to bring Matt onboard," said Andrew Phillips, the Rebels Director of Scouting. 
When asked about the signing, Coach and GM Fernando Rojas said, "I spoke with his father who told me he was in South America playing professionally. Once he came home, he came to our practices and played well in our exhibition game against Palm Beach. He is an up and coming player, but I was most impressed with his positive attitude and professional demeanor. If he keeps improving he will definitely be part of our international tour.”
Kendrick said, "I recently met Coach Rojas and right away I found out he knows many international players I played with when I was abroad. He also coached internationally and knows many players and agents overseas; I know playing for the Rebels will help me getting another international job."